Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Knitters Unite

Tomorrow is the day. My best friend and fellow knit blogger, Catherine, is coming for a visit. I met her while I was working with her husband way up on the north coast of California. I moved further down the coast, and she and her DH moved back to Texas. I went to Texas last year to visit and now it's her turn to come here. I am very excited. She gets to meet my children, and we get to sit and knit. That's pretty much all we can do. I live way up in the mountains, in the middle of nowhere :-)

I have been working like crazy on my Irish Hiking Scarf. I want to use my US8 needles for another project. I guess I could go get another pair but I'm cheap. I had bought some Knitpicks, Alpaca Cloud to make Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style. I thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift for my sister. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that it would look better in their Shimmer colorway, Morning Mist. So I ordered that and it should be here soon.

So now that I have two hanks of the Alpaca Cloud in Moss, I thought I would give Branching Out a try. Maybe I'll give it to my Mom. Really, what do you give someone who works in a yarn shop, knits like a mad woman, and (in my mind) knits perfectly? It doesn' help that she is a very warm person, and hardly ever wears sweaters. I had thought of knitting Kiri for her but I sent her the pattern, and she has made 3 of them already. 3 of them. 2 in KSH and one in Helen's Lace.

Thanks all who left me the encouraging comments on the recipe contest. Here are the recipes that are finalists.

Rouladen. It's a German dish that my Grandmother made. I have never used a recipe to make it....so I had to have my Mom help me to write it all out.

Holiday Casserole is the second one. Of course I make this all the time. It had another name but to make it politically correct I had to change it. It's a perfect side dish to roast chicken! Can anyone guess what it was called? Here is a hint....it's genealogy related (another one of my obsessions)

And last but not least a great big thanks you to Leah of Knitting Pretty. She sent me the most beautiful stitch markers. Now I have some pretty ones on my own!

And thanks to KnitChick at Knit One Chic Too for the lovely postcard. It put a smile on my face and went right into my collection. Did I tell everyone that? I collect old and new postcards, have for years!

Hopefully soon I will have a ton of pictures of me and Catherine having a blast :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell catherine "hello!" I hope you two have a blast.

Lynette said...

Jenn, your recipes sound so delicious! I think I'll try the Holiday Casserole this weekend. Thanks for posting them.

Birdsong said...

Hi -- thanks for the comment on the purse. The flip flops are easy, you just work single crochets in something like Fun Fur to cover the straps. I will post a photo when I am done with this batch. We don't have AC at our house in Forest City, where I spend most of the summer, but we wimped out and bought a swamp cooler for our main house, lower down in Camptonville. It is pretty exposed to the full sun all day. Have you thought about making some cute little cotton tank tops?